SEO Data Dictionary
About SEO Data Dictionary
SEO is a team effort – it requires close coordination among diverse and disparate organizational units, such as marketing, sales, PR, IT, legal, Web development, graphic design, and senior management. This coordination can be easier said than done, however, because these functional areas often operate in silos and are unaware of how their work affects each other.
That is why we involve all of these groups in our SEO consulting process and show all stakeholders:
- How their actions contribute to the overall effort.
- That everyone's tasks are crucial to the success of SEO
- Why SEO is important to them and their specific goals
Through our tenure within the SEO industry, and with SEO education for enterprise-level clients in particular, we have solidified tactics that can yield the most adoption across departments. One of these tactics that makes it easier for clients to see long-term success with SEO is the Data Dictionary. This process shows:
- Each component of a client's Web site
- What system is used to create/modify that component
- Which team is responsible for that component
- Any other components that are tied to and affecting other components
- Who is responsible for each component
SEO Data Dictionary in Action
A big-box retailer sought IMPAQT’s guidance in implementing SEO on its Web site. This client’s site was not only extremely large and complex, but like most large companies, was also managed by several different organizational entities that lacked cross-team communication.
What We Did
- We met with the client’s IT team to find out how many components were involved in the client’s site and which functional areas were responsible for maintaining them.
- After quickly diving deep into the client’s site and organizational structure, we created the Data Dictionary. This was a “road map” of the client’s site by functional area to clearly show each stakeholder all the components of the site, who was responsible for each component, and a release schedule (quarterly, monthly, weekly, etc.) for that component.
- We also offered on-site SEO training sessions to team members. Each session was tailored to the specific needs and tasks of each team.
How It Worked
The Data Dictionary benefitted the client in several ways:
- It made the process of implementing SEO recommendations faster • and smoother, which enabled the client to see better rankings sooner.
- It helped client team members receive the right amount and right kind of SEO training needed to do their jobs.
- It helped the client achieve immediate successes by understanding which SEO recommendations would yield the greatest results.
Download this Solution